just got my Thule roof rack and kayak adapter a couple of days ago and installed them. first off is that the instructions are ok but the tape measure they give you is use less. first it’s about 10-15 inches to short to use for my set up. so what i did is put it together with out locking it down and put it on the roof. then i made my adjustments and then locked it down when i had it set up. the front went real fast and easy bit the rears where a pain in the ass to set up. after fighting the rears set up i finally get it to attached where it is to be at and got it to lock down. once installed and located in the correct positions then it was easy to uninstall and reinstall. since this is my first time i had to install a roof rack, (owned an explorer that had a factory built rack), i thought it went pretty easy. i wanted a rack that i could take off when not in use and so far Thule is the way to go. i had mine put into my deal so i had Thule since they are the ones that supply Fords accessories. now off to the races and time to get my kayak and try out my new rack systems.
I just received my new 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback last Friday and have been running around town in it lately here are some pics.
check the pics out.sweet. I got the yellow blaze metallic color. it will shift different yellows in the light because of the metallic in the paint. sweet. love driving it. here are some things about it
- spunky and fast
- fun to drive
- keyless locks and ignition. keep fob in pocket walk up to the locked door touch the handle and it will unlock, then sit inside put foot on break and push start button and zoom your off.
- have heated leather seats
- auto headlights
- auto wipers, yes auto just have them on and when it rains the sensor on windshield detects the rain and the wipers will automatically turn on, sweet
- I have the 5 door hatch. put down the back seats and my two dogs fit in the back no problem. they are viszlas and about 80 lbs. dogs but they have room to roam in.
- heated side mirrors, auto dimmer rearview mirror
- have full my sync navigation system
- Sony 10 speaker ultimate stereo system
- gas mileage is twice a better than my truck.
- front seat bottoms could be a little bigger. I’m not a big guy but I kind of slouch when I sit and I need to get use to the smaller seats
- have locked up my navigation system 3 times in one day
- navigation is not that all wonderful my little Garmin is a lot easier to set up destinations and poi then the fords system. of course I was to get booklet on navigation but I don’t have one yet will get one Monday to see about programing the nav system, read a couple of articles online and what I found so far is that you can’t program the nav system from outside source. boo, I can set up my Garmin on my pc then transfer the settings over to the unit with no hassle hope to be able to that with my ford nav.
- since I have automatic transmission you get a slight delay when driving. this is due to the trans being an electronic trans and it has to calculate which gear to be in for the best gas mileage.
- even though I get twice the gas mileage of 30+ mpg on my new car vs. 16 mpg on my old explorer. I still get about the same distance with a full tank. this is so because my car has a 12 gallon tank but my old suv had a 22 gallon tank. but in the long run I get the same distance but half the price
- when switch from radio to nav to phone or from station to station there is pauses that they sync system has. for a system that is pretty well advanced it seems to be on the slow side like they need to boost the memory on the system or use bigger cpu’s.
overall so far I really like the car. I can get adjusted to the smaller seats but the only compliant would be the sync system with navigation. they still need to make some better tweaks in the software for it to run better. I am also having a hitch put on it to carry my bike rack and I thought that now I need to get a little utility trailer. since I don’t have a truck any more I would need something to carry my wood, drywall, big odds and ends that wont fit into the smaller car now. I also am having a roof rack for the same reason put on. on the roof rack I am having the kayak adapter installed for within next month I will be buying a kayak for this summer. another hobby I am trying to get into. spend about $1000 on new equipment and hopefully will save me on thousands for having something cheap to do for the summer. more n the kayak when I get it.